Sunday, May 16, 2010

Saturday Cindy and I went to the Delaware Republican Convention In Rehoboth DE. It was a very interesting event as the heart and soul of the Delaware Republican Party converged to nominate the candidates to seek Federal elective office. I met some great people there, and received a great deal of encouragement and support for my campaign.

Seeing these men and women come together caused me to think:

When our Founders signed the Declaration of Independence, they pledged their life, fortunes and their sacred honor to the cause of Independence from Tyranny. By signing that document, they in essence signed a warrant for their own death. They knew the consequences, they knew what was right and just, and they did what they could for Liberty and for the Country that they believed in. Some died, many lost their fortunes and a few lost their honor.

What would our current leaders do today. They get elected to get fortunes, and the compromise their sacred honor in the process. Few, if any would lay down their life in the defense of liberty or freedom. Most would compromise or run away altogether. Does anyone see Harry Reid or Nancy Pelosi leading a Calvary charge or Company of Marines into battle? We need new leadership now. I'm not saying I would be the greatest at leading either but I guarantee I would stand with my fellow soldiers and do the best that I could to accomplish victory.

Many are calling 2010 the year of the educated voter. Please take the time to get educated. Use the internet examine candidates, and ask questions. I invite everyone to google my opponents and also me. The names are Robert E. Walls, Harold E. "Jack" Peterman, and Steven W. Rust. If you put the word Delaware in the search box it narrows it quite a bit.

I also invite you to learn about the candidates families, speak with their friends and co-workers, and get educated.

I will proudly stand on my record of 24+ years as a police officer. I have been a SWAT Team member and I have led that TEAM as its commander. I have led a Shift of Patrol Officers and I have been a Patrol Officer, I have worked through complex criminal and narcotics investigations to which I have testified in Court and received convictions for dangerous criminals. I have brought professionalism to my department by instituting Community Policing, Bicycle Patrol, State of the art Accident Investigations, Training to become one of Delaware's top SWAT Teams,
and I continue to lead one of Delaware's finest law enforcement agencies. Through all this I have many times been faced with tough ethical and moral issues and I believe I have acted in the appropriate manner to resolve these issues in a ethical and professional manner. My kids will tell you that they have heard me say many times, "Do the right thing simply because it's the right thing to do". What this means to me is that it is far more important to act on ones convictions without regard for praise, criticism, personal gain, or loss. Just do what is right. I have tried to live by this statement personally and it has built me into the person I am today.

Please, ask my friends, family, co-workers, and associates what type of person that is. After you become educated, support the candidate whom you feel will represent you best. If you support me, I will ask that each and every time I run for office, use the same analysis regardless of the candidate. I believe you will learn that I am the best candidate now, and I will represent you by the same standard of doing what is right only because it is right. Not what is right for me personally, not what is right for my political party, and not what is right for my political career.

As Robert E. Lee departed Appomattox Courthouse after surrendering the Army of Northern Virginia to Ulysses S. Grant, he rode amongst his men and declared "I have done for you, the best I could". I am committed that at the end of this adventure into political office I will be able to walk amongst those who supported me and those who didn't and honestly proclaim those very words.

2 comments:

  1. This is a great article! I have to admit, I have not always been an informed voter. Each election it gets more important to me!! Thanks for the reminder and the encouragement to do my own research.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will be a great example of public service to all. You have our complete support.
    Chris & Jim Campbell

    ReplyDelete